Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Kids? What kids?


Its astonishing how the lines between upstairs/downstairs, this-room/that-room are becoming increasingly blurred around the Academy. I certainly won't walk around upstairs with a dress on anymore.


High on the list of things I really like is peace-and-quiet. Sitting in front of a computer screen listening to the soft, steady whirring of the hard drive is actually quite nice. Listening to four kids scream and fight over a Scrabble piece, not so much. Seven years with toddlers running around has failed to diminish my love of all things quiet - if anything, they have increased it. So one of my goals here is to be able to walk into any room, close the door, and not be able to hear the screaming, crying and fighting on the other side. Therefore, every single wall, floor and ceiling gets insulated for sound.

It is simply amazing what a few compressed glass fibers can do for your ears, and your sanity.

7 comments:

Kim in Maryland said...

Jim-

Your ability to demolish and restore in record time is really starting to tick me off! :) Now both you and Martha Stewart make me feel badly about myself. Please, oh please, tell me that you aren't able to homeschool twins AND accomplish these superhuman feats of speed construction...I really need to hear it!

Kim

PS I've got this eensy, weensy drywall job...

Dollymama said...

I agree!! I was going to at least put up the Christmas decorations tonight and I was barely able to heat up some pizza in the microwave and let the dog out and now it is time for bed. So while you were tearing down your house and rebuilding it all in one day I was able to write a list of things I want to do. One being, finding time to do the list! Sigh. If you are ever it Texas, I too have an eensy, weensy, drywall job. Oh and a siding job, new window installation job, popcorn scraping job, texturing and painting job, etc.............

Jim Chandler said...

Twins? What twins? ;^-)

Seriously, its fairly easy to do this when you DON'T WORK! I remember how long it took me to do this type of thing when I used to have a real job.

Kim, anything for you. You rock! Let's have playgroup at your place one day and I'll git 'er done.

Mrs. Quad, um... when you say Texas, do you mean like, Lonestar, Longhorns, Rio Grande Texas? Yikes!

Kim in Maryland said...

Um, thanks for throwing me a bone, but I DON'T WORK EITHER and I still can't get it done! lol

Playgroup it is, but you'll be sorry! I'm afraid maybe it's not so eensy, weensy afterall? It involves an eensy, weensy little amount of height...we'll talk (hopefully not for the last time!).

Dollymama said...

Yes Texas as in Longhorns. But it is not like they are wandering around in the streets or anything. And we are so proud to be the Lonestar state. And yes it get 105 degrees here from months at a time and usually your air conditioning putters out because it runs constantly. But I will never have to shovel snow again! :)

21 Charles Street said...

Jiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - you promised to do my eensy, weensy job first. Like, in Maine! Remember? Huh? Huh?

Jim Chandler said...

Lonestar, Longhorns and Rio Grande - all GOOD. 1,314 miles - NOT GOOD!

And Pat, your 451 miles are only marginally better.

However, I am always here for moral and technical support!