Tuesday, January 02, 2007

In-Law Suite


The In-Laws are nearing move day. Yes, they're pulling up stakes and heading for Raleigh, NC. Their move to this new house makes me very, very sad. It makes me so sad because they miss no opportunity to:

1.) show me pictures of their new house (drop-dead gorgeous)
2.) remind me how little they paid for it
3.) ask me how much we paid for the piece of crap house we bought

Sigh... Hey, it was YOUR DAUGHTER that bought it - my role in the transaction is simply to fix it.

So today I went to their old house for possibly the last time. (Unless they find another load of junk that needs to be hauled to the dump. Which they will.) After loading the truck with a half ton of stuff, I walked around the place and snapped some pictures. So many memories. So many bad, bad memories.

Look, it isn't that bad. Its just that they are a TAD uptight. And by TAD, in capital letters, I mean completely and excessively.

They are good people, and they mean well. They've actually helped us a lot over the years. But I have this love/hate relationship with them - love 'em, hate to be with 'em. Being around them is tolerable only after sufficient alcohol has been consumed. And they don't drink - not a drop.

So, as I watch them pack and prepare to hit the road, I can't help but feel a small sense of foreboding. When next we see them, it will be for an extended visit - in the SAME house. Funny, whenever I have heard the term "In-Law Suite", I never, ever expected it would have anything to do with me. I have a sudden urge to know more about flasks.

2 comments:

21 Charles Street said...

Sure hope they don't have a computer and like to go blog searching Jim.

Lisa said...

For shizzle, Pat. I've often wondered the same thing when I read his, um, heartfelt references to his in-laws.

Live by the blog, die by the blog.

Take your loving sister's advice. . .