Sunday, January 21, 2007

Insulated Carrots

Last night I'd taken a couple guests into the garage to show off my new service panel. They were VERY impressed. I related how I'd used VISIO and Excel to map out every circuit in complete detail before I'd started all the wiring. Now THAT is one surefire way to entertain! I do my best.

But even before the last guests had left, I'd made up my mind that I needed to rewire a good portion of the living room lighting circuit. One dimmer switch can only handle 600 watts, and I'd already decided on 16 recessed canisters. With 50-watt bulbs, that's 200 more watts than the switch could handle PRIOR to nipping off several of the heat-sink tangs in order to fit it into the 3-gang switch box. In other words, I had to split the room in two and separate the canister wiring onto two dimmer switches. Since they're currently on a 4-way switch, the project proved more difficult than meets the eye.

The bottom line is, first thing this morning I started ripping the living room a new one. To gain access to the wiring, I had to carefully dismantle the tongue-and-groove mahogany paneling, labeling it so I could put it all back up when I'm done. Sure, its getting painted eventually, but I needed to take it down without damaging it.

Anyway, remember how I said the Headmistress supports everything I do around here? Well, apparently she draws the line on insulation falling into a hot pan of roasted carrots. Who knew?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Gee, I'm sure I'd love my husband caring enough to make sure the carrots stayed warm by insulating them. Is there a problem with that?

Oooh, maybe it's that the pink clashed with the orange. Could you maybe have sold it as cotton candy? You know, an inticement for the kids to eat up all that yummy betacarotene?

You just need to think outside the box, Jim--the circuit panel box.

RedWrites said...

VISIO - now there's an application I miss from my pre-mom days! And Quark Express - really miss that one!

Dollymama said...

ummm. please tell me that isn't 2 built in ovens in the backround of the picture. Jealous Mrs. Quad. I was so engaged by them I have no idea what the heck your post was about. They make insulated carrots now?? ;)