Sunday, October 01, 2006

Poker faces


If Josh and Kyle ever learn to play poker, we'll be millionaires. Through this entire trip, they've been completely stone faced. The expression is the same whether we're catching a 3-D movie, riding a roller coaster, or watching a spectacular fireworks show. For the life of me, I can't figure out how a complete goofball like me has managed to raise such serious kids.

Without question, their favorite ride at Disney is the whirlpool bath in the hotel room. Each day they ask "how long before we get back to the hotel?" Their poor grandparents must be wondering why on earth they spent so much money for this trip.


I think the most expression I've seen from them is today's safari ride. They positively loved seeing all the animals, including Bengal Tigers, Hippos and Rhinos. But this ride was, without a doubt, the cheesiest thing we've experienced here. I mean, its was great to see all the animals, but pretending it was a real safari and that we were helping to capture some poachers went beyond the pale.

As the "safari guide" recites her script (with all the enthusiasm of someone who has recited it a thousand times), I can imagine some guy in a booth somewhere saying "ok guys, cue the hippos". I swear everything here seems to be animatronic. I sure wish my kids were. It would make their grandparents feel so much better if could sit in the background somewhere saying "ok guys, cue the smile."

0 Comments