Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sleep, Sweet Sleep


I could love you
as dry roots love rain.
I could hold you
as branches in the wind
brandish petals.

       Let your heart look
       on white sea spray,
       and be lonely.


   - Carl Sandberg



Alas, though I try to love Calvert, Calvert ain't lovin' me back.
Today:

Second Grade. Lesson Manual. Lesson 2, Page 8. Turn to the Math Manual, Page 6. Locate the Red/Blue bird punch-outs on page 333 in the Calvert Math textbook. snore... snore... snore...

This material is the "Lunesta" of education. I find these early morning naps, while untimely, are actually quite satisfying.

Once we got started on today's program though, "Mr. Eclectic" quickly took over and got us waaaaay off track. The lesson plan called for reading a short autobiography that focused on Benjamin Franklin's invention of the bifocals. One thing led to another, and soon we were thick into the Tao of manufacturing. We talked about the problem that prompted Franklin to invent the bifocals, and extended that thought into the following corollary:

Every invention begins with a problem.


We discussed the problem of toddlers constantly spilling drinks, and made up a mock invention of a sippy-cup (an object with which I am all too familiar these days, sigh..), and did some role-playing that allowed Kyle's factory to walk off with all the profits of Josh's idea. Then we set up a mock patent office, and replayed our scenario with Josh taking Kyle to court to recoup his losses. We talked about patent lawyers and patent writing, about concise descriptions of ideas, etc. etc. We talked about prototypes and negotiations with manufacturers, and on and on and on, completely chewing up our two-hour allotment.

So where does this leave us? I LOVE this kind of instruction, and I think its what distinguishes homeschooling and gives it such an advantage over traditional schooling. But.... its also what keeps me up at night.

So here's what I plan to do. Tonight, when I'm staring intently at a cottage-cheese ceiling that desperately need updating, I will break out the Calvert Lesson Plan, and soon...

"Sweet dreams of pleasant streams
By happy, silent, moony beams!"


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

We've gotta talk about Calvert. Let me give ya the skinny--it has many good points--but even I'm not a total devotee.

We'll talk.

Lisa