Wednesday, October 04, 2006

M-I-C See ya later!

K-E-Y Why? 'Cuz I couldn't take Disney one more day.

I can't help wonder how someone could endure this in July, when the crowds triple in size, and the temperatures soar. The crowds, the lines, the endless walking, walking, walking.

Actually, I think we may have enjoyed Disney a lot more had we been able to take it at our own pace. But we were on a schedule here that could only be described as theme-park boot camp. I never served in the military, but I must imagine that all drill sargeants wear mouse ears. On the positive side, tomorrow's 16-hour drive will seem like child's play.

I'd like to personally thank the Disney Board of Directors for incorporating stroller rentals into their business plan. Each day here begins with the stroller rental routine, but today started on the wrong foot. The stroller drill begins by getting in line to purchase a rental ticket for a double stroller. When you get the ticket, they ask your name, then write it on a placard in bold magic-marker. This placard is then inserted into a see-through plastic sleeve that is attached to the handle of the stoller. When you exit a ride, the name plate makes it easy to find your stroller among the throng.

Anyway, still in a good mood from last night's Oktoberfest, I was anxious to try out my newfound talent with a German accent - I'm fascinated with that guttural or uvular German "R" sound. (Actually, my accent is a work in progress. Kind of a cross between Schwarzenegger and Donald Duck, but I'm thinking the Disney influence is temporary.) When it was my turn at the schtrollah counter, I asked for a "doobla schtrollah", and was pleasantly surprised that they seemed to be fooled.

Name?
Wrote-en-kidds
Spelling?
R-O-T-T-E-N-K-I-D-Z


My proud smile faded following the reaction of the In-Laws when they realized they'd be pushing a stroller all day with the name "ROTTENKIDZ". Between last night's post-Oktoberfest conversation and today's stroller incident, I think my Father-In-Law entertained thoughts of shoving my uvular fricative... well, let's just say he seemed to be entertaining some thoughts.

Anyway, I spent most of the day today taking pictures of just about anything - blades of grass, bolts, bits of sidewalk, aluminum siding. To be fair to my Father-In-Law, I think most other folks also thought I was a nutcase. Sigh... I am so misunderstood.

So here are a couple of parting pictures. See you in a couple of days....








0 Comments