Thursday, December 21, 2006

Where in the world is Bela Karolyi?


I feel like one of those gymnasts who, after having a perfect routine (with Mr. Karolyi cheering from the sidelines), completely misses the landing. I mean, I came so close. Ok, so I didn't get the recessed lighting, crown molding or ceiling fan installed, but I got everything else done. Well, except for painting the case molding. Oh, and painting the doors. Actually, I guess I kind of blew the whole routine also. Bela, I think I need a hug.

But the project was a success nonetheless - the Headmistress is pleased. So all of you who bet that she'd hate the color, pay up. I take checks.

I'm very disappointed that I didn't get any "before" photos. I mean, it was positively hideous. I'm surprised that we made it a whole year without having some kind of spastic seizure from peachy-pink overload. Yes, that's right. Peachy-pink. Actually, very dirty peachy-pink. Walls, baseboards, casework - all the same.

The previous owner painted EVERYTHING either battleship gray, or pink. Kitchen, dining room - gray. The entire exterior - gray. Master bedroom - pink. The entire basement - pink. All bathrooms - gray and pink. What's with this combination? White is the potential for fullness, while red helps you to achieve that potential. Pink combines these energies to create contentment and happiness. Gray symbolizes a void, emptiness, inertia, a detached and isolated feeling.

I have no idea what it all means. Seems like a cry for help. And if you're reaching out for help, what could be more effective than peachy-pink? I don't know, I think you cross some kind of threshold with that. Its like the 911 of decorating.

But its gone now. Replaced with Caramel Toffee. So Ive gone from feeling happy-content-isolated-detached, to feeling kind of... I don't know... hungry.

This weekend, in between wrapping gifts for students and faculty, I'll be installing the lighting and crown molding. And I'll start counting the days until I can replace those hideous windows. The mind and body are willing, but the endowment is not.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Pink and grey. You dissing pink and grey? Cuz pink and grey are Vassar's colors and stand for the pink dew of knowledge soaking in the delicate grey of the brain.

Now THOSE are some college colors to rally 'round, n'est pas? (Except, being Vassar and eschewing braun in favor of the grey matter, Vassar doesn't do football or basketball or wrestling or sororities or fraternities or anything else that inspires sporting collegiate colors. But as I tell the applicants I'm interviewing this time of year--Vassar is THE consistent world champ at collegiate men's croquet, women's golf, and mixed doubles tennis. Good for your country club future. And, besides, EVERYBODY (men and women) looks good in our team uniforms: pink polo shirts with nice, discreet, grey scripted VC's on the cuff band. Understatement. Nice.

And the good news is, you can wear your uniform to the 4:00 daily tea held in the Rose Parlor, decorated in . . . wait for it . . . rose and grey--and served by little old ladies wearing---wait for it--pink uniforms.

Life is good in pink and grey.

Jim Chandler said...

Vassar's teams are named the Brewers. Both the team name, and its rally colors, were obviously conceived during a night of heavy drinking.

The Headmaster finds this all very interesting. The Academy hadn't considered rally colors. Until now.

I hereby submit, to the Board of Trustees, a proposal to adopt the following rally colors:

Red and Grey - to represent the red amplitude of sanity hemmorraging from the frazzled grey matter of our brains.

Lisa said...

Matthew Vassar was a brewer, ergo the team names. Yup, I owe my love of Jane Austen to a beer guy. As Alanis Morisette says, "Ironic, don't ya think?"

Your totally non-beer drinking friend,

Lisa

21 Charles Street said...

Hell, Sanford Maine has it all over Vassar and the Academy - purple and black. Now that's color! Goes great on bruises too. Just kidding. Great looking room Brother. I can't believe how fast you work. Sure the Academy doesn't need a Maine roadtrip? :)