Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Shoot me now

Everyone who has lived in the Washington, D.C. area for a while probably has a Wilson Bridge story. I remember spending the night on the bridge once. It was 20 degrees, and since I typically ran my car with less than a dollar's worth of gas in the tank, I couldn't run the car all night. Which didn't matter, 'cuz it was an old Volkswagon Beetle that had no heat even when the car was running.

But my all-time favorite Wilson Bridge story was one I read in the Washington Post, some time ago. This guy was traveling through the area with his family on I95 North. He got a flat tire just as he entered the bridge from the Virginia side. You may recall that the Virginia side of the river, at that spot, has a couple hundred yards of muck at low tide. Anyway, after getting his family out of the car and positioned in a relatively safe place, he returned to the vehicle to fix the flat tire. As he was getting things out of the trunk, he saw a car speeding towards him, and it was obvious the car wasn't going to stop. So he did the ONLY thing he could do - he jumped over the jersey barrier to escape certain death. A couple of seconds later his car was totalled and he was chest-deep in muck (his family was fine). While he stood there stuck in the muck, he must have reflected back on how, just a few short minutes earlier, he'd been sipping his coffee and talking quietly with the wife.


Today, I was that guy - figuratively speaking. Yesterday, I was Mr. Mom, happily unemployed. Then I got the call at about 7pm. This morning, I was up at 5. It was 8 degrees out. I rushed out the door and schlepped my way around the Beltway with a bazillion other poor schmucks. I drove to Charlottesville for a day-long meeting - my first in YEARS.

I too did my own reflecting. I thought about a commercial I'd seen during the Super Bowl. Portrayed in a rain-forest setting that resembled a "Lost" episode, these office workers were sent running for their lives when management called a meeting. Hundreds of these office workers ran past a security guard and dove off a cliff to certain death.

At one point during today's meeting, the thought of jumping off a cliff did occur to me. Hey, its a paycheck.



8 comments:

Lisa said...

Dude,

That gun looks scary. Put it away. Gotta say, your notepad even looks scary.

hang in there.

21 Charles Street said...

As Mrs. Quad would say - ewwwww. You poor guy. Hope you had a day home today to recoop. And hey Bro - I love the gun. Nice piece. That reminds me of a funny story. When I was on the police force I had to take my gun to a shop in Amesbury to have a new handle put on it - I put the gun on the counter next to me and was talking to the salesperson when all of a sudden, next to me, I hear "nice piece" - well by the Jesus didn't I just turn around ready to pop someone and then I realized he was talking to my 'gun'! :)

Lisa said...

Okay, Pat--

You sound too interesting. On the police force? Your blog readers would love a little autobiography. Don't leave us hanging . . .

Jim Chandler said...

On the police force? She meant to say "running from the police force".

21 Charles Street said...

Cute Jim. Yes Lisa, I was a police officer when my kids were in Jr. High - I decided to leave that position when I found myself arresting a lot of my children's friends in high school. Funny story though - actually there were a ton of funny stories from this time frame but this one beats em all - several years ago I was at my son's wedding - his best man got up to make a toast and speech - he started talking about when he and my son were friends and some of the stuff they used to do, like the night I wasn't home and they decided to BORROW the police cruiser to ride around town. Now as he's saying this my eyes are getting wider and wider - sort of the deer in the headlight look - the best man looks at me, microphone in hand and says (he thinks in a whisper) gees Jeff, I thought she knew. Everyone had a good laugh on that one. Come to think of it I've probably had the equivalent of the cat and 9 lives. Maybe a blog on lives 2 thru 9 would be fun sometime! :)

Lisa said...

Damn, Pat, put us out of our suspense! Go blog it!

Anonymous said...

Still got that damn gun Jim? I thought you lost that on the bike ride through Arlington Cemetary or something like that.....

xxx,ooo
Elizabeth

Jim Chandler said...

ET - that gun has probably been used in countless crimes in and around Wash. DC, so please don't associate my name with it :)