Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Can You Hear Me Now?


Today the students conducted a science experiment involving sound waves. After receiving a lecture about sound and how it travels through matter to the tympanic membrane (exasperated look - "Daddy, do you mean, like, the eardrum?"), they were given an experiment involving a tin can with a string attached. The students put the string into one ear, and then closed both ears up tight with their fingers. The instructor would then speak into the tin can on the other end, and the students would see if they could hear what was being said.

It went something like this:

Instructor: "Hello, Joshua."
Student: "Hello, Daddy!"
Instructor: "Can you hear me, Joshua?"
Student: "Yes, Daddy! This is cool!"
Instructor(recognizing an opportunity): "Joshua, can you please go clean your room?"
Student: silence
Instructor(a bit louder): "Joshua, please go clean up your room!"
Student: silence
Instructor: "Joshua! Why can't you hear me?"
Student: silence (cocks head to one side - with puzzled look, for effect)
Instructor (softly): "Joshua, go play some video games."
Student: "THANKS, DADDY!"

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Here's a comment:
Cute story.

Now, that "O comments. Isn't that sad?" tag is gone.

It's like a pity, uh, comment. Is it good for you?

21 Charles Street said...

That was toooooo cute Jim. I'm so glad you 'blog' is up again honey :) Maybe I can make you feel a little better by sharing two stores of my 'school' day. You remember that I've been in training to be certified in child restraints? Yep, well there buckaroo - it sure came in handy today. Now here's where I'll let you do the math - first there's me and then there's a third grader who is lunging for a teacher - I weight about 130 and I'm around 5'4" - then there's the third grader - taller than me and weighing over two hundred pounds - how's that math coming Jim... let's put it this way, I quickly taught another teacher to get on the other side of him and hold him as I was - and believe it or not we were able to use this hold to take him out of the room where the other students were. Praise the Lord and pass the peanuts! he.he.he.

Jim Chandler said...

A pity comment is better than NO COMMENT!

The frownie face is better than my first option - a sound bite of crickets chirping.

Jim Chandler said...

Good God Pat - I can't imagine. I guess I've got it pretty damn easy!

Dollymama said...

Oh shite!!!! Did I say Boston???

Tom Gibbons said...

I try some of the same things with my superiors... it works just as well. Great re-design!

Lisa said...

Pat,

I'd like a lesson on your techniques. It could be useful in my homeschool.