Friday, February 09, 2007

Bill-Payin' Fool

This is the first installment of a whole "BoreBlogging" series.

According to Wikipedia:
   Boreblogging: Writing about personal matters that are barely interesting even to the writer.

I suppose one might argue that this defines my entire blog. sigh....


Anyway, today was bill-paying day. And you know what that means... put on some headphones and listen to music videos all day. I only paid one bill, but I listened to a lot of good music. Here are some of my favorites from today.



Shirley Manson. There is no more to say.


Garbage - Milk



Ok, seriously, this is the best music video ever produced. Stephane Sednaoui has done a number of Bjork videos, but this was the best. Yeah, the music rocks, but the video is so simple its almost zen-like. Standing on a flat-bed tractor trailer driving through the crowded streets of NYC. She also did a nighttime version, and I had a difficult time deciding which was better. In the end, I really love her energy as she moves around the flatbed on this one - classic Bjork. She didn't move at all on the nighttime one.


Bjork - Big Time Sensuality



I really like the Sneaker Pimps, although they pale in comparison to Portishead. Mostly because I love the whole trip-hop genre, even though it was rather "trendy" - WAS is the operative word, 'cuz its time has come and gone. Kinda like me.

Sneaker Pimps - 6 underground



Ok, I admit I'm a Limp Bizkit fan of sorts. They certainly have their limitations, and their videos (including this one) are juvenile male-fantasies. And this is one of the only songs suitable for consumption by the general public. Something about combining rap with head-banging rock REALLY appeals to me for some reason.

Limp Bizkit - Take a Look Around



Why don't they make good grunge music anymore? I really miss Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. This is standard rock concert footage. But daaaammnnn - I swear I'd do Eddie Vedder.

Pearl Jam - Black



Ok, Korn kicks it - straight up. It scratches an itch somewhere. Its like taking the 90's band "Living Color" and kicking it up several notches. And this is a cool video, although I'm not sure what it all means. I can't stop listening to the music long enough to concentrate on it.

Korn - Freak on a Leash



Yeah, all their stuff is exactly the same, but again, I really like the combination of rap and rock. Shinoda and Bennington compliment each other, but it gets old after a while.

Linkin Park - In The End


9 comments:

Lisa said...

Man, you are so contemporary. How do you find the time? Listen, I like Eddie Vedder,too (so much that I'd even watch you do him), but, again, Bjork? Really? Thanks for the tour of inside your musical head. You are very interesting.

21 Charles Street said...

I'm dazed and confused...

Tom Gibbons said...

Calvin and Hobbes AND Eddie Vedder? Awesome post!

Jim Chandler said...

C'mon Lisa, you gotta give Bjork a chance man! Just put the swan dress incident out of your mind, and give her a clean slate.

Jim Chandler said...

Yeah, I sure do miss old Calvin and Hobbes!

Annie in Austin said...

I enjoyed seeing your mix of music, Jim. And browsed a little in the movie reviews - we have some movies in common.

Music is so personal, and it's almost impossible to articulate just what elements make us like certain songs...so I may be guessing totally wrong - do you also like Joanna Newsome? Just wondering.

As to a new artist, if you want to invest a couple of minutes looking at her YouTubes, check out one of the songs by Diane Marie Kloba [Disclaimer:I'm related to her]. She has something Bjorklike in her persona. I like the Visitors, myself.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Jim Chandler said...

Hi Annie - I must admit that 9 times out of 10, I'll be listening to something like Thelonius Monk or Billie Holiday. But sometimes I just gotta crank it up a notch or two.

I hadn't heard of Joanna Newsome, but I definitely enjoyed her music. Thanks for the tip!

Hey, you're related to a rock star - how cool! Is she local to Austin?

Annie in Austin said...

Jim - I just know some of Joanna Newsome's music but she's not in my family.

The singer that I'm related to is Diane Marie Kloba from Chicago, also on YouTube. I guess putting both these women in one note was confusing.

Annie

Jim Chandler said...

Annie - not confusing at all. I checked both of them out. I watched Diane Marie's video for "Visitors". Pretty good stuff!