Monday, February 26, 2007

Big Night


Alas, there is no time for a REAL post. But I desperately needed to check in and write something. So here are some of my thoughts as I quickly check today's headlines.

I was perusing the headlines on the CNN home page this morning - Iraqi Pres. has stroke, Iraqi Vice Pres. is wounded, Cheney warns Pakistan, Bush plans Iran bombing, 41 killed in Iraq University bombing, etc, etc. With my mouse-pointer passing slowly over each headline, and a trigger-finger over the mouse button, a little voice inside my head was going "Wait for it... waaaait for it... w-a-i-t... waaaaiittt.... THERE!" I clicked on the video headline: "Pillows Fly in Massive Free-For-All". I mean, who could resist watching naked women have a pillow fight on the beach?! Let me tell you, I was sorely disappointed. I had to recheck the home page twice - I could have SWORN I saw the words "naked women" and "beach". Instead, the video featured a shirtless, hairy, fat guy in biker shorts. I moved on to more important headlines: "Beyonce: SI's Swimsuit Cover Model".

The Oscars have apparently provided much-needed relief from tonsorial headlines about Britney "Shears" (heh, heh). Of course, there never were any REAL stories about the event - only non-stop stories about other news outlets that were shamelessly running non-stop stories. I mean, really! Talk about LAME - covering something that you deem "beneath" you, by poking fun at someone ELSE covering it. It just... hm.. um, let's move on.

So I guess the Oscars were on last night - of course, I would never watch such silliness. Well, I did manage to catch just the beginning. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that all the male leads are trying WAY too hard? Those imitative facial mannerisms and voice inflections that Cruise and DiCaprio use are really starting to get on my nerves. Whatever happened to REAL male leads like Gary Cooper, Clarke Gable and Gregory Peck? Dammit! Now their imitative facial mannerisms and voice inflections were REAL.

So Scorcese finally won. At least, that's what I hear - Like I said, I only watched the beginning. There is just something about that guy. I can't watch him without thinking he's going to break into a standup routine at any moment. Still, it was a great acceptance speech. At least, that's what I hear.

Hey, here's a ground-breaking headline! (no pun intended. seriously.) The coroner associated with the Anna Nicole Smith saga is trying to convince people that they should get the body into the ground - quickly. I mean, hasn't it been weeks? Does this guy really have to convince people? And then there's this drama over paternity and custody. I mean, married men are stepping forward, claiming to be father of the child. ReallY? 'Cuz like, I didn't even know you could do that. I'm going to have to rethink my whole paternal strategy. First, I guess I'd better run it all by the Headmistress, just in case she isn't familiar with this new social heteronormativity.

Anyway, you know you're in trouble when there's a nasty battle over your estate, and a guy named Howard Stern appears to be your only voice of reason. So now all these tourists are flocking to the Bahamas, where Smith will eventually be buried (presumably, just as soon as she's finished with her decomposition). I seriously don't know why the rest of the world doesn't like us.
Seriously?! You think a guy named HOWARD STERN should get a former Playboy Bunny's corpse?Oh, I suppose you think YOU should get the body?Puhleeeeeze!  Get a life!Now we're talking!

10 comments:

RedWrites said...

THAT was great :) I love the part about social heteronormitivity. Did I get that right? My college degree was American Studies with an emphasis in Mass Media and Popluar Culture. What little news I do watch (hard to take it seriously when you have to disect it for a class) makes me laugh. Usually at the idea that nothing important is discussed when anyting happens to a celebrity. what makes their lives better than the rest of us anyway. Oh, wait, never mind. I learned that in college. My bad.

I was in France when the George W Bush/Al Gore election happened. I wanted to crawl into a hole as I listened to the French people laugh at stupid Americans. Well, not really. I am proud to be an American. Just not proud of the way the media portrays us.

I hope in my lifetime, I get to see the media change to reflect how things really are and not used to twist things around to make a point.

Wow. There's a long comment.

i think i'm in need of a distraction from cleaning my kitchen and doing laundry.

21 Charles Street said...

Gees Jim, I was beginning to wonder if I still had a brother disguised as a Headmaster. Great take on the news as usual. One of these days I'll have to take time to do a blog on the local Maine news - talk about laid back - between the 'down Maine' accent, the fact that they don't get cameras out to East Whatchamacallit to catch the latest goings on - ayuh!
So glad you're back, however brief it may be, Brother.

zendra said...

I'm too tired to think of anything even remotely creative or entertaining - but I loved your entry today.

Mr Cranky, creating so we don't have to...

Jim Chandler said...

Hey, did anyone see all the WORK I put into that rollover image map on the CNN poll graphic? I'm so technical - HA! It only took me three damn hours....

Lisa said...

Great post, great graphics, thanks for sharing.

21 Charles Street said...

What's a rollover image?

Jim Chandler said...

"rollover image map"

sigh... I can see my time was well spent.

21 Charles Street said...

I'm a rollover image virgin - what can I say!

21 Charles Street said...

Jim, Jim, Jim - come on man. All work and no play... see what I'm saying.

Lisa said...

Jim,

It's been a week since you last posted. Is that new job of yours white slavery? Don't they let you out just to post an "I'm alive" notice?

We miss your posts. I'm just saying. . . .