Monday, July 30, 2007

Slowing to a crawl


I've been putting off wiring the dining room until it was time to put down the hardwood floor. Suddenly another project rears its ugly head. Under the dining room is a crawl space with less than a foot of clearance. I'd roughed the dining room circuit into that crawl space, but now all the fixture wiring has to snake under there (snake - not a good term to use when talking about a claustrophobic crawl space, is it?). Anyway, I think a diet has now worked its way onto piano critical path - I'm skinny, but I'm not THAT skinny.

You know, I just don't understand the Headmistress. I mean, what's the point of having kids, if its not to use them in crawl space situations? In fact, I think that was my very thought one chilly September night some 8 years and 11 months ago - the excitement of having crawl space help is likely what produced the little extra flourish that brought us not one, but TWO crawl space helpers. And now, eight angst-filled years later, just when its all about to pay off, the Headmistress balks at sending the boys down under the dining room floor. And the boys were no help at all - you'd think they would APPRECIATE having been brought into this world, no matter what the reason. But nooooo... you could actually HEAR the anxiety drain from their bodies when the Headmistress put her foot down on this one. sigh....

So, I was left with only one choice. But the cat ran off before I could catch it, and I had to come up with something else. I now have three rather large holes cut into the dining room floor. Oh sure, now that the wiring is all done, I can't keep the damn cat out of there. If she doesn't come out soon, I'm going to toss the kitty litter box under there, seal it all up and be done with it. But don't tell the Headmistress.


In order to prepare for the floor installation, I also had to take down the hand railing over the basement steps. Sheesh - you'd think our kids were STUPID or something - the Headmistress made me install locks on the dining room doors so the kids couldn't get in there and fall. I mean, all it would take is one fall and they'd learn their lesson - that's my philosophy.


At any rate, the wiring is done, and I've patched the roof - the new roof will be a project for another day. And gawd help the Headmistress if she tries to tell me I can't send the boys up there!

7 comments:

CAN said...

Why don't you just wait and do the new roof at Christmas? You can have the boys string up the holiday lights while there at it?!? :-)

Lisa said...

For shizzle, CAN. You are a multi-tasker extraordinaire. Jim can learn from you, as can we all.

Did you know that Jim is a Christmas buff as well? I'm thinking after the Welcome Back Picnic in September we're hosting, we can all go ornament shopping to celebrate!

THAT'S what I'm talking
'bout.

CAN said...

Ornament shopping in September? Sounds absolutely perfect! Count me in.

Ed and I have always collected ornaments from places we visit. We get an ornament whenever we travel, and in his old job, he (and we) traveled a lot. Through the years, we've collected ornaments from New Orleans to Seattle to Puerto Rico and Hawaii.

Now, thinking like a true multi-tasker...do ya think we can figure out a way to combine our ornament shopping with an educationally-oriented exotic trip to someplace fabulous? I hear Rio is nice in September, and we could learn some Portuguese just in time for CHAP.
Just thinkin' out loud...

Jim Chandler said...

Cindy, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into here. We don't mess around with onesies and twosies. No, we're talking cycling every two years - out with the old, and in with ALL NEW themed decorations. When we buy ornaments, its by the dozens. This will be my third year with purple, red and gold glass balls, highlighted with glazed fruit. Time for a whole new theme. I'm thinking olive green and orange this year. And I'm just hoping to have my stone and cedar fence complete, so that I can hang the 36 wreaths I have decorated with fruits and red ribbons. Oh yeah, each one gets its own halogen spotlight.

And Lisa makes me look like an amateur.

So... Rio might me a great place for olive and orange. I like the way you think...

Lisa said...

Ooh. Do the purple, red, and gold just one more year so I can see it, please? I've always wanted to do purple--but haven't been brave enough. C'mon on, show me how it's done, dude.

And even though I could do a serious tho' down on glazed, frosted, sugared, beaded, bejeweled, and bedazzled fruit . . .I am impressed with your 32 wreaths. And individual spots. THAT, I gotta see.

zendra said...

hmmm... we have macaroni and cloth ornaments - and some victorian tinsel. that's pretty much it - My theme is 'unbreakable'.

RedWrites said...

I'm of the "Oh, do you remember when we got THIS ornament? Wasn't that such a sweet time?" sentiment. Never been much of a themed Christmas gal... never actually heard of it until I met Lisa :)

I'm with Zendra especially: the more unbreakable, the better.

A trip to Rio would be good even if I don't need ornaments...

ooo, Zendra, wonder what we can find in OC in September :) Exotic... NOT!