Thursday, July 26, 2007

Waiter, there's a piano on my roof


I cannot tell you how fortunate I feel that Sandra Sackett came to our rescue with a piano. I mean, it was bad enough that we had taken that 11th mortgage just to fund the piano lessons. But we figured we'd just pop on over to BJ's and buy that $49 keyboard, and be done with it. So when the piano teacher announced that she "doesn't do keyboards", I just knew we'd be calling our mortgage broker for that 12th mortgage - and we all know how embarrassing that twelfth mortgage can be.

At Monica's suggestion, I posted a plea to Myfamily, et voila - Sandra Sackett answered my prayers. With a beautiful, black baby grand piano. Did I mention its a baby grand?

Anyway, before committing, I tried to hire a piano technician to evaluate the piano. Ha! Just try to get a piano technician these days - they're all on the first tee, talking to their stock brokers on their cell phones. Except Bill Grogan - member of the Piano Guild and an all-around great guy. Its like piano tuning with Mr. Rogers - he calls all his tools by name. When he needs a tool, he says "come on over here Mr. Mute Wedge".

It turns out the piano is in great condition, and the transaction is complete. Now I have to get a piano mover off the first tee to actually move the piano. So far I've phoned three of them, and none has returned the call.

Just as well, since a couple of home improvement projects have worked their way onto critical path for this deal. First, I have to install hardwood floors in what is now the dining room - about to become the piano room. Sandra has gorgeous hardwood floors - I'm thinking that when someone offers to give you their piano, they should really throw in the hardwood floor with it - I mean, they kind of go together, don't you think? Anyway, I've ripped out the disgusting carpet that we somehow managed to overlook for 18 months. The huge spot of mold under it reminded me that there is a gaping hole in the ceiling that we've managed to overlook for 18 months - its right where all that water pours in from the roof every time it rains.

Riiiight.

So now I have to replace my roof before I can install the hardwood flooring. Hm. I wonder if Sandra would mind storing the piano for 18 months while I work on that.

6 comments:

RedWrites said...

Glad the piano is in great shape. Good luck on all those home improvement projects :) I wonder what Sandra will use her new space for... guess we'll find out in 18 months or so ;)

Lisa said...

So, the critical path to Mrs. Puckett is the roof? Hmmmm.

Have I told you the violin is portable?

Jim Chandler said...

Red - I think Sandra is avoiding me. Guess I'd better speed things up.

Jim Chandler said...

Lisa - so you're suggesting I take a fiddle up on the roof? Ah, if I were a rich man, I could hire someone to do the roof. Then I could sit and watch the Sunrise, Sunset.

Lisa said...

What a mensch you ahhhh. . .

yatffatfsaicwtdy

Chopin Girl said...

OMG, Mr. Grogan is SO awesome!!!! :)