Thursday, July 05, 2007

Catching My Breath...

Having not posted for several months, I have to assume that with this post I'm virtually talking to myself, but I'm actually pretty good at that.

Is there a good phrase for "working your ass off" that doesn't actually have a cuss word in it? 'Cuz, you know, I'd certainly hate to cuss on the blog and all - you never know who might read this stuff. But I've really been working long hours and putting up with loads of bullshit - oops, dammit.. Anyway, I've finished up my last proposal and, for the time being, am happily unemployed.

So now the REAL work begins. I finally finished (more or less) the boy's room, and thereby reclaimed the dining room. I've installed all the new windows and I've begun work on the stone. I cut all the stones (quarried new hampshire granite) for the window ledge. Using a 22-caliber nail gun, I installed metal lathing on the brick ledge, and tonight I mixed up a match of mortar with my new cement mixer, and skim-coated the ledge with mortar.



So this weekend, after the mortar has cured, I can permanently install the stone ledge. I've actually decided to take a different approach with the stone wall that goes under the ledge. Rather than use the four tons of fieldstone sitting in my driveway, I've decided to order a whole new batch of stone. I was afraid that 4 tons of material on those corner walls might impact the foundation, so I'm going with mastercut stone, which is much thinner and lighter (and WAY more expensive) because its face-cut. I'll use the other stone elsewhere.



0 Comments