Thursday, November 02, 2006

Belly v. Butt


The headmaster sincerely wishes the endowment supported male-only enrollment. Unfortunately that's not the case, so we have to cope with a student body that's squarely co-ed. And the co-ed situation brings with it certain issues.

Yesterday, two students were caught playing "doctor". One of the students was overheard telling the other that babies are delivered "through the butt". The other student argued that they are delivered "through the belly". A small fight ensued, whereby the headmaster had to intervene. "Look kids, everyone knows that babies are delivered through the left nostril". Whereby the headmistress got involved. Doesn't anyone value humor anymore?

I pulled the young male student aside and gave him a good talking-to. But I chose not to focus on the issues of child birth, 'cuz, you know, that conversation always leads to the conception conversation, which sends me running for the man-fridge. So I focused instead on the issue of effective debate. I told him it was important to pick his battles - that every argument didn't have to be fought and won. I stressed the importance of winning, but only when it mattered. Sometimes, I told him, you need to recognize that the battle is unimportant, and walk away.

He seemed impressed. Then he went around the corner, and was overheard saying "See, I told you it was the belly."

2 comments:

Jim Chandler said...

btw - that picture, the one above? That photograph is a marvel of logistics. It was set up and taken during the ONE documented minute when Kyle was actually asleep during his first three years.

mydadsblog said...

Oh, Man. This is depressing. Until today I believed my wife when she told me the Stork delivered our kids. What is next? No. Santa?

So you are teaching the kids to be liberals, eh? Cut-and-run!